Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Double Chocolate Stout Syrup

Tonight I experimented with a recipe I heard about on the Food Network shoe Diners, Drive-ins and Dives which I think is my favorite show on television. I get so many ideas from the show and I find it a good challenge to try to replicate the dishes I think I would like and see how they come out.
This week showcased a local restaurant in Duluth, Mn called Chester Creek Cafe and the recipe was for a beer syrup made from a local Oatmeal Stout made by Lake Superior Brewing Co. here in Duluth. I chose to try my hand at it using one of my favorites, Young's Double Chocolate Stout. I have made other things with this stuff and it is very versatile in it's uses. Anyway, I started with 1 cup of Light corn syrup, 1 cup of Light brown sugar, 1/4 teaspoon of cinnamon and 1 fifteen oz. can of the chocolate stout.
I combined the sugar and corn syrup in a non-stick saucepan and cooked them over low heat until the sugar was dissolved, then added the cinnamon and the stout and brought the mixture to a simmer and cooked it for about 15 to 20 minutes, testing along the way to see how it tasted.
I had originally started with 2/3 cup of corn syrup but ended up adding another 1/3 cup to temper the bitterness of the stout. That seemed about right so I took the pan off the heat and let it cool enough to pour into a plastic bottle to store in the refrigerator.
The syrup tastes quite nice, with an ever-so-subtle hint of bitterness and a nice cinnamon finish to it. I look forward to trying this syrup on a thin buttermilk pancake or two very soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment