Saturday, January 29, 2011

The Smoking Gun

I have just finished experimenting with a new cooking tool that my wife Teresa got me for my birthday. It is a PolyScience Smoking Gun. It is made by the same people that make Immersion Circulators that cook food sous vide or under water in a vacuum bag at constant temperature.
My first experiment was with raw cabbage that I had shredded and placed in a modified 9x13 aluminum baking pan to allow the hose from the Smoking Gun to enter the top of the pan. I lit the Hickory chips in the gun and allowed the smoke to penetrate into the pan for about 5 minutes. I then mixed the cabbage with Marzetti's Original Slaw dressing (very good) and it was truly extraordinary! What amazing flavor those few minutes imposed on the cabbage.
The next experiment was to make a Smoked Bloody Mary. I mixed the drink in the traditional way, using a good mix and a very good Svedka Vodka. I covered the glass with plastic wrap and cut a slit in the plastic for the smoker hose and lit the Smoking Gun for 30 seconds and let the smoke infuse the drink for about 3 minutes. Again, it was extraordinary! What amazing flavor for such a short amount of exposure to the smoke. I am excited to try many more unique taste temptations with this method of cooking.
Good eating,
Tim

No comments:

Post a Comment