Sunday, July 31, 2011

Grits and things

I have had a love affair with grits for many years now. I was first introduced to the southern food many years ago when my dad would travel to Florida every winter  to his spot in southern paradise near Tampa where he and my mom would spent several months waiting out the cold season here in the North land. He told me about grits after eating them at aCracker Barrel restaurant on his way down to Florida. Now this is not a four star restaurant by any means but it was a good intro to the southern delights.
I have spent a good deal of time working on my grits recipe and my son's friend's wife, who is a true southern girl, says I have some 'smokin hot" grits. Here's my take on this southern classic:
1 Cup water brought to a simmer in a 2 1/2qt non-stick saucepan
1 Tablespoon butter
3 Tablespoons quick cooking grits
2 Tablespoons heavy cream
pinch of Kosher salt
3-4 grinds fresh ground Black Pepper
Combine all ingredients in  the pan and cook until creamy.
While the grits are cooking, dice 1/4 sweet onion and sweat it until translucent then set aside.
Chop 2 slices of bacon into 1/4 " pieces and cook until crisp, then set on plate with paper towels to absorb the excess fat.
Combine the grits with the onion and bacon and serve with a couple of basted eggs on top. Break the yolks and mix with the grits for an exquisite breakfast treat!
Good eating,
Tim

No comments:

Post a Comment