Sunday, September 23, 2012

Butternut Squash & Apple Soup

Tonight I am testing a recipe that I found on Epicurious.com for a Butternut Squash soup. I am about to cook for a 100 person lunch at my  church, The Vineyard, in Duluth, MN and I want the dishes I do to be pre-tested and good before I experiment on 100 people. I cooked for this same group last March and they have asked me to do it again next week. Last time I did a Creamy Asparagus  soup and a Chicken with Ancini De Pepe. I am going to repeat the chicken soup but it is Fall and Butternut Squash is in season and I like it so here we go. I have tweaked the recipe to what I think I would like and I will include it here for your enjoyment.
I begins with 1 1/2 lbs. Butternut Squash, skinned, seeded and cut into 1/2" pieces.
6 slices of thick cut bacon cut into 1/2" pieces
2 Celery ribs, chopped
1 Carrot, chopped
1 medium onion, chopped
1/4 teaspoon Cinnamon
3/4 lb. Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled and coarsely chopped
2 medium apples, cored, peeled and coarsely chopped
2 1/2 cups homemade Chicken stock
2 cups water
In a 6 qt. heavy pot, cook the bacon until crisp and remove with a slotted spoon to a plate lined with paper towels. Reserve 2 T of the fat in the pot. Cook the Celery, Carrot and onion in the fat over low heat, stirring occasionally until softened, about 10-12 minutes. Add the Cinnamon and cook for about 1 minute. Stir in the Potatoes, Squash, Apple, Stock, 2 cups water, 1 teaspoon Salt and 1/4 teaspoon Black Pepper and 1/4 teaspoon White Pepper and bring to a boil, then simmer, uncovered, for 15-20 minutes.
Add 1/2 the cooked Bacon and use a hand blender or process in a regular blender in small batches until very smooth. Serve the soup topped with Sour Cream, Bacon bits and some croutons if you like. This is a very nice soup! It will serve 8-10 people as a first course, or 6-8 for a main course.
Good eating, my friend!
Tim

No comments:

Post a Comment