Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Fishing in Canada, good friends, good food

Fishing In Canada has always been a thrill for me. I have been going there to the same fly-in resort since 1989 with my good friend Gordy Larsen. This time we brought along my friend Ted Sexton and we spent a week together at Art Latto's Wilderness Cabins on Churchill Lake. He has four of these outposts and I have been to all of them over the years. The fishing is so good that if I described it you probably would not believe me. Let's just say that 200 Walleyes a day is not out of the question! True story! The resort is about 400 miles North of Duluth to the base camp and then a 50 mile flight into Churchill Lake, which is probably about 4 or 5 times the size of Island Lake near Duluth. At any one time there are only about 12 to 14 people on the entire lake and a population of millions of Walleyes!
I was the cook for the week and our menu consisted of fish every other day with some various other dishes on the other days. Here was our menu:
Sunday--Grilled Rib eye Steaks with Home Fries and a Bourbon Mushroom Cream Sauce and Sweet Corn on the cob.
Monday-- Beer Battered Walleye with Deep Browned Potatoes, Caesar Salad and French Style Green Beans
Tuesday--Pecan Crusted Pork Tenderloin with Mushroom Merlot Cream Sauce, Wild Rice Pilaf with Bacon, Sauteed Onions and Craisins
Wednesday--Walleye Cakes over White Rice Pilaf and Sweet Corn on the cob
Thursday--Burgers with various toppings; Mushroom and Swiss, Caramelized Onions, Tomatoes, etc., Onion Rings and deep fried Pickles (Claussen's).
Friday--Pork Chops with Caramel Apple Sauce over Roasted Garlic Mashed Potatoes and some Green Beans.
That was the dinner menu and the breakfasts were hearty as well. One that I like to make is Stuffed French Toast: English Muffin Bread, two slices, with softened Cream Cheese and Honey mixed together and spread between the slices, then dipped in egg and then dipped in crushed Special K cereal and fried in butter. Slather on some syrup and you've got some good eats!
I also introduced my friends to some good Grits. I make them using Quick Grits, Heavy Cream, Bacon bits, Fried Onions, Salt and Pepper and then cook a Basted Egg and serve it over the top and a few rashers of Thick Sliced Bacon along side for good measure.
All of that and some good Colombian Coffee in the morning is a fine way to start a day of fishing in Canada.
Let the great adventure continue!
Tim

1 comment:

  1. Fantastic trip! But I can feel my arteries screamin' for bloody air just reading your menu. The breakfasts alone could stop my heart. Bring on the heavy cream! And I know you guys aren't running 'round the lodge between landings. Good reading, tho 'cuz.

    ReplyDelete