Sunday, August 29, 2010

Off the roof

I must apologize for not posting anything here for some time now. I have not been cooking much. A couple of weeks ago I was working on my roof and was getting down from it. I stepped on the ladder and as I put my full weight on it the ladder flipped sideways and I was headed for the ground from seven feet in the air. It is amazing how much thinking one can do at lightning speed while on the way to the ground! I could see I was going to land face-first so I decided to try to flip on my back. I made it part way around and landed on my left side. It knocked the wind out of me and I quickly realized I was home alone and this could be very bad. I got up on my knees and finally got my breath back and then stood up slowly. My word, did that hurt!
I was still breathing and I didn't have any obvious leaks or serious cuts but it did feel like I might have broken something. I managed to sort of pack up the job site and put my tools back in the truck because I figured I was going to have to get to the hospital somehow. I locked the house door and sat on a lawn chair for a minute to take stock of what I needed to do. My wife Teresa is an RN and was working so after I had crawled up into the truck and started down the road for the half-hour drive to the hospital, I called her and told her I was on my way there.
She met me at the emergency room and we soon found out that I had broken four ribs(#6,7,8,9) and had a grade2 laceration of my spleen.
To make a long story short, I spent the next five days in the hospital and am back home now trying to heal up. It will take a while and I will post as often as I can.
Thanks for your patience,
Tim

1 comment:

  1. Sorry to read of your failed attempt at flying, Tim. I've come close to doing the same more times than I can recall, and usually on some client's roof or wall, which is not good. And often, alone on the job.

    Tuck & Roll - the advised position for crashing off a bike or skates, but at 7 feet . . . I don't know if anything will prevent major damage.

    Heal well, cuz. And get back to that soup pot . . . and off those ladders! Cheaper in the long run to call some agile kid (with insurance!) to tackle that aerial stuff.

    - Dan

    ReplyDelete