Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Over Easy Cafe

It was a beautiful Sunday morning on Fort Meyers beach and we were scheduled to make our way to Sanibel Island for the day. Teresa and I jumped into our rented convertible and put the top down for the drive to Sanibel and started looking for the Over Easy Cafe. We had read about it in an advertisement in a brochure we had picked up at our hotel. Sometimes things just work out very well in that regard. The ad said that Over Easy had a variety of Benedicts on the menu and that's what caught my attention right away. I love Eggs Benedict and I always try those when they are offered.
We arrived at 9:00 Am and it was not crowded, which was a plus, and we were seated in a quiet corner of the place. The decor was amazingly inviting and colorful; bright colors of yellow, red and blue, much like my favorite Scandinavian colors and it felt like home to both Teresa and me.
I looked at the menu for those Benedicts and saw what I just had to try; it was not a Benedict at all but their Crab and Baby Asparagus Omelet with Swiss Cheese and Hollandaise on the side. It was served with Sourdough Toast and Orange Marmalade. It was the most amazing omelet I have ever eaten! It was unbelievable! I was in food heaven for the entire time at the restaurant. I wanted to order it all over again just because it was that good. It was perfectly cooked and the Hollandaise was a nice balance of lemon and buttery egg.
Teresa ordered the Fried Egg Sandwich on a Bagel with Provolone Cheese and tried the Fresh Squeezed Orange Juice. She said the juice was wonderful and I don't normally like Orange Juice but I tried it and it was unbelievable. Remember, I don't like Orange Juice and this stuff tasted like it had dropped right off the tree and had been pressed right there at that moment; It could make me like Orange Juice!
The next great thing they offered was their coffee. It was Green Mountain and it was excellent. I wanted to stay in this restaurant all morning. Our server's name was Faviana and she was a delight. I told her that the decor was very comfortable and she said that she agreed and that it was a cheery place to come to work. It showed in her attitude and service. It is so nice to see people that enjoy what they do and make their place of work a place that is attractive for anyone who happens upon it. I have to say that this was the absolute highlight of our trip in terms of quality and atmosphere. I could eat there every day if it were possible.
The next stop on our culinary tour was a Monday morning breakfast stop at Heavenly Biscuit in Ft. Meyers Beach. We had heard about this little place from a lady that managed the Americinn at White Bear Lake, MN. She said that she had lived in the Ft Meyers Beach area and that we should try the Heavenly Biscuit. It turned out to be a very good find. The biscuits were excellent, moist and perfectly cooked and their special of the day was a Bacon, Egg and Cheese with Tomato, which both of us tried along with their Home Fries. The fries were very good; a very crispy, well browned potato with crispy skins and onion as well as a hint of garlic in the mix.
The restaurant was a bit like the Swamp Sisters here in Saginaw, MN; a small place where you placed your order at the counter and found your place at either a table inside or one of three tables on the porch of what had at one time been a small home on the main drag of Ft. Meyers Beach. This restaurant also was one of those you could easily spend a vast amount of time enjoying while watching the activity in the neighborhood. I fact, you could tell that this was a popular place because we saw the same cabbies there both times we went and saw that the locals frequented the place every day. It just had to be good, and it was!
Plan a trip soon, my friend and eat well!
Tim

No comments:

Post a Comment