Monday, July 26, 2010

Smoked Tomato, pepper and onion ragu

Tonight it is good to get back to the smoker to try a little different take on my smoked pepper and onion ragu to add some tomatoes to the party and see how it comes out. I fired up the smoker with some basic hardwood fire and then added some wet apple wood to the fire for an hour and a half for a "cold smoke" treatment on the vegetables. After removing them from the smoke, I put them in a food processor and ground them to about 1/8" pcs. Wonderful smell, good flavor and success at the smoker for tonight. I think I will try to sell this stuff to a local restaurant for a condiment to their Bison Burgers; we'll see.
I recently met a new friend named Scott at our place on Lake Kabetogama while we were there for a weekend. He is from Stillwater, MN and I offered him some of my Smoked Salt for the Porterhouse Steaks he was cooking for he and his friend. I didn't think anything of it initially, but he called me a few days later and really enjoyed the salt on his steaks as a finishing salt. He said he would like to use it on his ribs as a shortcut to soaking the ribs in Liquid Smoke for while. I ended up sending him a jar of my Smoked Salt as a complimentary gift to him for his interest. He had some helpful tips for possibly marketing my salt and whatever else I come up with to you folks who might be interested. I am offering the Smoked Salt at $4.95/2oz. jar plus shipping and handling. If there is an interest, contact me at tmettner@gmail .com. and I will ship it to you for your culinary enjoyment.

No comments:

Post a Comment