Monday, February 22, 2010

Dreams

I was talking to my friend Lisa the other day who told me she had a dream about me and another friend Anita. All of us are part of a Gourmet Dinner Group we started a couple of years ago with our spouses and a few friends ( 10 of us). Anyway, Lisa said she dreamed that she, Anita and I had started an "underground restaurant" of sorts and we would cook for about 10 people at a time twice a month and they would pay us to do this. We would set the menu and cook at someone's house or something like that. I bring this up because the idea intrigues me so much. the only problem and it's a big one, is that it's very illegal. This type of thing is actually being done all over the country evedry day by chefs who want to branch out and try some exotic foods that are banned here or just want to try some exciting things that the traditional restaraunt setting doesn't allow. I first read about this in Gourmet magazine and thought it was amazing. then I read on and found out it was illegal. Too bad! I think it would be awesome and a way to not have the pressure of running a restaurant every day of the week. I guess the next best thing is to start a dinner group and have folks donate toward the food, bring some great wine and enjoy each others' company and see where it goes. Ours has been going for a while now and we have invited some other folks occasionally to join us but mostly it remains the same group and we have settled into a system that works for us; someone cooks the main course and we each bring either a side dish, salad, breads, cheese course, wines, cocktails, whatever we need for the meal. I works pretty well and I would encourage you to gather a group that loves to cook, or even some enthusiastic eaters and YOU love to cook and start meeting. Just do it
Tim

No comments:

Post a Comment