Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Smoked stuff

I smoked some salt a few days ago and spoke about it on my Facebook page which kind of started this whole deal. Anyway, It was interesting to see how after one hour the salt smelled great but didn't taste much like smoke. After three hours, however it didn't smell much but the taste was Kick-Butt good! I had smoked a pork shoulder (pork butt) a while ago and had it frozen. brought it out for a party at some friends and brought the salt along as a gift to them. We tried the combination of the salt on the smoked pork butt and it was excellent! By the way the pork butt was smoked three hours in my charcoal smoker using apple wood for flavor and then finished in the oven in a cast iron dutch oven braised in one can Coke and one beer along with one chopped onion for three more hours at 250 degrees. I first thought to add a little of the braising liquid for moisture but I tasted it first (fortunately); it was terrible! It didn't need the extra moisture anyway because the fat from the pork was very nice just as it was.
Note on the smoking process: I like using natural charcoal by Royal Oak along with some briquettes for lasting power because the natural stuff burns hot and fairly fast. I also soak the apple branches and pieces in water for about an hour before adding them to the charcoal.
Tim

No comments:

Post a Comment