Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Biscuit Gravy

Last night I continued my practice for the May 22 cooking demos at the Vineyard for the combo Medical Clinic and Food Shelf day. I did a recipe by my friend Steph Berguson for biscuit Gravy using the microwave. It calls for 1 stick of butter, a 1/4 cup of flour and 2 cups of Milk. I am working with powdered milk because that is what is available at the Fruit of the Vine food shelf. My mission is to cook the things available at the food shelf and make it taste good and fairly easy to do. The recipe calls for melting the butter in the microwave and then adding the flour and milk, whisking to combine, and microwaving for 2 minutes on high, then at 1 minute intervals until you reach the desired consistency. I added fresh ground black pepper to get the right seasoning for sausage gravy and it worked very well, even with the powdered milk. I think the extra butter compensates for the lack of butterfat in the milk and it is very tasty. I think this will be the recipe I use for the demo, but I will adapt it to the stove top in case some folks don't have a microwave. We will add breakfast sausage and serve it over biscuits made with the same powdered milk, which I am working on to get them to taste right.
Tim

1 comment:

  1. What a great idea to specifically use the items from FOTV! Very nice!

    ReplyDelete