Monday, April 26, 2010

Cedar Planked Crappie

I was out on the water at Fish Lake near my home yesterday and caught a nice 11" Crappie so I thought I might experiment with cooking it on a cedar plank as is done commonly with Salmon.
I first soaked the plank for about 1 1/2 hours in water and while that was happening I marinated the Crappie in 1 Tablespoon of Olive oil, 1 Tablespoon of Soy sauce, 1 1/2 Tablespoons of Bourbon and 1 Tablespoon of Limoncello (lemon Liqueur). I heated the grill for several minutes, then set the plank on the grill to heat. as soon as it began to smoke, I laid the Crappie on the plank and let it cook for 5-6 minutes. There was a plethora of smoke and the time was about right for the size of the fish. It was just opaque at he 5 minute mark and it didn't need any more salt because of the Soy sauce in the marinade but I did add some fresh ground pepper. The result was interesting but frankly, I think the cedar deal works better on a fairly strong flavored fish like Salmon. It was a bit much for the mild flavored Crappie.
I guess this is how we learn what works and what doesn't. I did like the marinade flavor but next time I will grill it on a sheet of aluminum foil with a pat of butter along with the marinade and some pepper. I know that works very well from past experience with the mild flavored fish like Walleye and Crappie.
Go forth and cook!
Tim

No comments:

Post a Comment